Words to Know for Your Wedding

Get to Know Wedding Terms and What they Mean

Of course when you see a wedding and reception, you know that there is a ceremony being held to unite two people and a party afterwards.

There are, however, other terms you may not be so familiar with that may come up in the planning process.

Here’s a little brief list of some terms you may not be familiar with that will help you with this overwhelming process, note, not in alphabetical order:

  • Ascot – a scarf like necktie worn under the chin, worn with a cutaway
  • Cutaway – a tailcoat worn in formal daytime trousers, worn with striped trousers
  • Four in hand tie – standard necktie worn with a shirt and stroller, also worn daily by working men
  • Stroller – black or gray long suit worn with striped trousers, similar to a cutaway, worn in formal daytime weddings
  • Thermographed invitations – invitations that have the same look as engraved invitations but are significantly less expensive, a special powder is used to produce the raised letter look, most cannot distinguish the difference between engraved and thermographed invitations
  • Shantung – a fabric made of silk that has a nubby texture and a bit rough to the touch
  • Organza – fabric much like chiffon but heavier and stiffer
  • Charmeuse – satin fabric with soft, lightweight and flexible finish
  • Nosegay – a round arrangement/bouquet of flowers usually small in size
  • Hollowware – serving pieces
  • Chuppah – a canopy or arch of flowers a couple stands under during a Jewish ceremony

These are only a few of the many terms you will hear during the wedding planning process.

Let the Celebration Hall help you through this, The best way to reach us is via email, with most questions responded to in about a day.

Feel free to give us a call as well!

Email: thecelebrationhall@gmail.com
Phone: 850-499-2652